Wednesday, October 29, 2014

October Charity Rides

From now through April there's a charity ride pretty much every weekend and a lot of them are in town or at least close to home so there's no excuse to not try one. As they approach I’ll try and write about some of my favorites. Coming soon is:

Tour de North Port, Sunday, October 26, 2014
I never ride in North Port so this event seemed like a good opportunity to ride in a different area that's still close to Fort Myers. I did this ride in 2012 and I remember we got a great breakfast and lunch with lots of homemade desserts. There were loads of volunteers and the route was well marked and took us through some sparsely populated areas of North Port. The rest stop at that ladies house in the woods was super cool. Thank you for the chairs! We ended up hanging out so long my legs got stiff. The ride benefits a group that plants tree and I love trees (but who doesn't).
http://app.strava.com/activities/35172761

Everglades Bicycle Club Homestead Speedway - Freedom Ride, Sunday, October 19, 2014 @ the Homestead Miami Speedway
I skipped the Tour de North Port in 2013 to do a charity ride out of the Homestead Speedway. It's a unique event and it was nice to get myself out of my comfort zone. It’s a younger, bilingual, and multicultural experience over there which is cool. And I’ve never seen such a wide variety of bicycles. You get to do a lap around the speedway which is an absolute blast and then you head down to beautiful Key Largo. Lunch afterwards was gourmet and they used a bracelet to make sure everyone got fed. No bracelet no food and when you got in the food line they cut off the bracelet so you couldn’t go twice. Why don’t all charity rides do this? It's worth staying for the raffle because there are some great prizes. You should definitely do this ride at least once just for that lap around the speedway.
http://app.strava.com/activities/90364573


No comments:

Post a Comment