Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Tour de North Port 2014

My buddy Ian and I decided to ride the Tour de North Port charity ride last Sunday and when Ian informed me on Saturday night that Andrew and Charlie from Paradise Bikes would be joining us I simultaneously thought, “awesome and uh oh”. I also instantly regretted the 45 mile ride I’d done that day. I should have given my legs a recovery day. Andrew and Charlie are fun guys and they always make me laugh. They’re also at least 15 years younger than me and very strong riders. If I ride with them I know it’s going to be a fast ride and that we’re going to try and “win” the event. Forewarned, I prepared for the ride appropriately. I carb-loaded the night before and had a huge breakfast washed down with loads of water, juice, and coffee. I was fueled and hydrated. I also packed my jersey pockets accordingly because I knew from experience that when you ride with the lead pack you don’t make many stops. One stop is usually the norm. In my pockets I stowed: 1 bottle of water (in addition to the two on my bike), 1 Clif Shot Blok, 1 energy bar, and 1 little can of coke. Aside from possibly having to go to the bathroom I was prepared to ride straight through.

We met up with Andrew at the event who showed up riding a 2015 Giant Propel Advanced Pro 0 with 55mm full carbon rims. Yep this was going to be a fast ride alright. Charlie unfortunately was absent because he had to work.
The ride started and immediately eight of us broke away from the main group of riders doing the 65 mile route. We quickly formed a fast moving paceline and ten miles later we’d shed two riders. Names were exchanged (Ian, Andrew, Richard, Eric, and Chris a former racer who I already knew from my local scene). The six of us continued on enjoying an interesting route. The course took us through what I would describe as a sparsely populated rural residential area. There were lots of loops, twists, and turns. I got a lot of practice turning at high speed. We had some roads that were freshly paved and among the nicest I’ve ever ridden on. We also had some roads that were some of the roughest I’ve ever experienced and they gave the compliance of my new Bianchi Intenso a good test (it passed wonderfully).

The weather was perfect. It was sunny and the wind was relatively mild for this time of year. The day started at 60 degrees and finished around 80. I pulled down my armwarmers mid-ride and my base layer kept off the chill. Ian who has blood even thinner than mine kept his arm and FULL leg warmers on all day. He’d say it was a bit cold for him. Best of all, my food and water supply worked out perfectly. When we finally stopped for a quick break at mile 45 I still had a full water bottle. I chugged a bottle of Gatorade anyways. I also scarfed down a cookie, took a pee and then we hit the road again before I’d even caught my breath.

As we approached the end of the ride everyone was pretty beat by this point. Turns at the front of the paceline had dwindled from macho 3 minute pulls to 30 second turns and I was suffering from leg cramps. I couldn’t pedal out of the saddle without immediately getting muscle spasms on the front of my thighs. Nonetheless, we started jockeying for position. Andrew told me that his legs were toast but that he could still lead me out for the finish. That opportunity didn’t materialize though because Eric decided to go early. Chris and I were the only ones able to go with him but Eric went too early because he burned his match and we dropped him. With just two of us remaining, Chris and I fought to cross the finish line first but I was beat by a bike-length. Maybe if I’d be able to sprint out of the saddle I could have had it but there’s no way my legs were going to let me do that. Nonetheless, I was pleased to finish second out of a decent-sized group doing the metric century and be the first rider to the top of both bridge “climbs”. Finally tally was almost 21 mph average speed and 68 miles ridden with one short stop. Strava gave me an “extreme suffer score” 208. Yes I know it’s sad and pathetic for me to talk about a CHARITY RIDE like it’s some sort of race but any time you put two cyclists together it’s basically a race. And when it’s a group of middle-aged men vainly trying to recapture some of the glory of their lost youth it’s even more so true. So I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to admit that sometimes I treat these things competitively.

All in all this was a great event for a good cause (planting trees!) and it was well organized. The volunteers were numerous, friendly, and gracious. The route was almost completely traffic free and I enjoyed the scenery.There was plenty of good food both before and after the ride. Lunch was a delicious and varied spread of chicken stir fry, pasta, rice pilaf, chicken wings, salad, and pie. The one rest stop we used was amply supplied and we blew by at least 3 other SAG stations that appeared well attended. The only suggestion I can make is to place the road markers farther away from where the turns occur. When you’re going 20+ mph it’s hard to make a turn at the last minute. This is a problem I find at most charity rides though. Overall, I enjoyed this ride when I did it in 2012 and this year they made it even better. Now I plan to do it every year.
http://app.strava.com/activities/212043348


beautiful pavement

No comments:

Post a Comment