Sunday, November 2, 2014

Winter Weather Has Arrived


It was 49 degrees when I left my house this morning. For me that’s a very cold ride. My wife wouldn’t even ride in it. I was dressed for the dawn of a new ice age and 20 minutes into my ride I wished I’d dressed warmer. A Belgian hardman I am not. The 16 mph wind out of the north didn’t help matters. I stopped at Paradise Bikes to say to the boys and begged for a shot of whiskey. No luck. Alex had a laugh at how much I was wearing and Charlie chuckled at my homemade dress sock shoe covers. I’m glad to be a source of constant amusement. After warming up I left and continued on my ride trying my best to stay positive. Yes it’s cold and windy but at least the sun is out. And then I saw a sight that gave me some perspective. There in a roadside culvert was a flock of Spoonbills. Their pink color is striking and a lot of tourists mistake these birds for Pink Flamingos. That’s not a sight most cyclists get to see in November. Heck cyclists in other parts of the country can’t even ride and they would be thrilled to have our winter weather. Here in SW Florida we ride 12 months a year and it’s awesome. You wear a few more clothes during the winter and as little as possible during the summer. Bring on the cold weather. I’m ready for it.

looks like winter right?


Charlie hard at work


my homemade shoe covers (cut up dress socks)




No comments:

Post a Comment